Butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, nitrocellulose, adipic acid/neopentyl glycol/trimellitic anhydride copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, isopropyl alcohol, styrene/acrylates copolymer, stearalkonium bentonite, n-butyl alcohol, benzophenone-1, silica, alumina, trimethylpentanediyl dibenzoate, polyvinyl butyral.
|Ingredient Explanation, Healthy Solvents
Healthy Solvents – We Use These
1. Butyl Acetate & Ethyl Acetate are good solvents. They are flammable, but only in extreme heat or amounts. They are naturally found in most fruits, decaffeinated tea/coffee and wine & beer. Ingesting them is not harmful. They have low toxicity.
2. Nitrocellulose is a cool ingredient. It was used in film as a coating, as well as in X-rays, wood finishing, table tennis balls, playing cards and guitar picks, among many other things. It takes the place of similar, yet toxic ingredients. Why doesn’t everyone use it? It’s expensive. It is flammable.
3. Stearalkonium Bentonite thickens all of the liquids in the formulation. It also keeps the pigments from separating. It is free of all toxins and is not on any lists that cause health issues.
4. Silica is most commonly found naturally in rocks & sand and is used as a natural light diffusion. In other words, it makes it shimmer.
5. Isopropyl Alcohol, Styrene Copolymer, Adipic Acid are solvents that help prevent the possibility of explosions during heat & storage. They are necessary for fast drying, hardening and as mixers for other ingredients for blending purposes.
|Ingredient Explanation, Unhealthy Solvents
Unhealthy Solvents – We Do NOT Use These
1. Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) is a plasticizer. It is primarily used to make PVC piping for sewerage & corrosive materials. It does not evaporate quickly and does not dissolve in water. It is environmentally dangerous and is on the Priority Pollutant List. It is not approved by Prop 65 and is a teratogen, which causes abnormalities in physiological development and birth defects. On a broader level, it can cause abnormalities in puberty & in other organisms, including plants. It is banned in Europe for use in cosmetics and children’s toys since 1999. In other words, it is a terrible chemical. It is produced cheaply, therefore it is found in many lower grade nail polishes.
2. Toluene is a paint thinner and adhesive. It is used to help the polish adhere to the nail. Exposure can cause irritation to eyes, nose and respiratory system. It can make you dizzy and cause headaches. There are other long term affects, yet most are associated with straight up toluene, not the mixed version in nail polish. It is a highly toxic ingredient that can and should be avoided.
3. Formaldehyde is used as a coating in nail polish, for a smooth and quick drying effect. Although this is important, it is known to be a human carcinogen. So stay away from it.
4. Formaldehyde Resin is a plasticizer that forms a tough, shiny and durable film on nails. It is sometimes used with nitrocellulose, but doesn’t have to be so why do it. It is far less toxic than straight up formaldehyde, yet should be avoided as it can cause irritation to the skin and eyes.
5. Camphor is a plasticizer for quick drying and overall glossy, shiny appearance on nails. It is also used for embalming and as a repellent. It is interchangeable with nitrocellulose. It is mined from trees in Asia, which I don’t like, and can cause nausea, dizziness and headaches. It is banned in Europe and is limited to a concentration of 11% in cosmetics in the US. It’s not horrible for you, but substitutions are more healthy.
There are no reviews yet.